Toastmaster Contest Overview
International Speech Contest
Contestants present a 5 to 7 minute speech on any subject they choose. International Speech contestants must have earned awards for completion of Level 1 and Level 2 in the Pathways educational program or have earned their Distinguished Toastmaster (DTM) award. The District 31 winner will advance to the Region Quarterfinals for a chance to compete in the World Championship of Public Speaking.
Table Topics Contest
The Table Topics Contest features a 1 to 2 minutes response to a question posed by the Contest chair. Contestants are taken from the room and each is brought into the room and given the Table Topics question. No contestant hears the question or anyone’s response prior to their turn on stage.There is no additional competition beyond the District level.
Tall Tales Contest
Contestants present a 3 to 5 minute speech with a subject that is highly exaggerated, improbable nature and has a theme or plot.There is no additional competition beyond the District level.
Clubs may conduct their own contests for all contests at any point, but winners of contests not chosen by the District will not advance beyond the club. Possible contests include Evaluation, Humorous Speech, Table Topics, or Tall Tales. Contests not run past the club level do not have to fully comply with the contest rulebook (ie: they may allow members of other clubs or District officers to compete, etc.) These contests are run completely at the club level — however District 31 is happy to promote them as special club events on the District calendar if clubs would like visitors from other clubs — please share info with email@example.com.
Even though the district only holds official contests in the spring, this doesn’t mean that your club can’t hold other and promote contests in the Autumn. Check the district calendar for club contests that you can watch or participate in.
District 31 Contest Resources
- General Information
- Conducting Quality Speech Contests
- Current Toastmasters Contest Rulebooks
- Planning Speech Contests (Guide for Area & Division Directors)
- Speech Contest Scripts (for International and Evaluation contests)
- Speech Contest Tutorials
- Speech Contest FAQs
- Zoom Master Script for 2023 Speech Contests
- Contest Chair: Briefing the Contestants, Sergeants-at-Arms, and the Toastmaster.
- Chief Judge: Briefing the Counters, Timers and Judges
- Online Contest: Judges Ballot Working File Master
- Online Contest: Ballot Counter Tally Sheet Master
- TLI December 2021 – Speech Contests Worksheet
- TLI December 2021 – Contest Training Slides
Toastmasters International Contest Kits
Download for free or order hard copies from Toastmasters International
- Evaluation Speech Contest Kit
- Humorous Speech Contest Kit
- Table Topics Speech Contest Kit
- International Speech Contest Kit
Sample Contest Agenda
Promoting Your Contest!
- Create a Speech Contest Flyer for your club.
- Tell everyone about your upcoming speech contest with a press release.
- Contact the district if you would like to promote your club contest.